Bread this delectable is difficult to keep around the house – and makes me grateful that I have my family to share it with. Honestly, this is one of the most delicious gluten-free breads I’ve ever made – you may not be so interested in banana bread after you see how lovely this is.
Give this recipe a try; it’s full of healthy and alternative ingredients like coconut, chia, flax, and lemon. It’s an easily amenable recipe for ingredients you happen to have in your kitchen and for food preferences as well.
Gluten-Free Lemon Coconut Bread
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
2 cups of gluten free flour (1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, 1/4 cup oat flour, 1/4 cup quinoa flour, 1/3 cup tapioca starch, 1/3 cup arrowroot starch, 1 tsp, xanthan gum)*
1/4 cup coconut sugar (or your favorite choice)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp chia seed and 2 tbsp poppy seeds
zest of 2 lemons (save the lemons for their juice)
1/2 tsp salt
* (Feel free to substitute with the flours you have on hand. Keep in mind the ratios I suggest and stick with a preponderance of lighter flours to experience a good rise with the bread.)
Mix the liquids:
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup of coconut milk ( I use the SO brand that comes in a box – not canned coconut milk)
1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup of honey
2 eggs or 2 “flax” eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted ghee (clarified butter) or your choice – grass-fed butter, coconut oil, etc.
- Mix the dry ingredients well with a whisk.
- Mix the wet ingredients well with a whisk.
- Add the wet to the dry, mixing gently with a large spoon until combined.
- Spray a full sized bread pan ( I prefer a glass pan) with cooking spray; using a spatula, transfer the mix to the baking pan.
- Place in a preheated 375 degree oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. If the top begins to brown darker than you would like, take a piece of tinfoil and make a tent over the top so it can breathe but stay in the oven.
- The bread is done when it’s set, golden brown and a tester comes out clean!
- Let rest in the pan for 15 minutes then pop it out gently to cool further on a rack.