This recipe always comes in handy in the fall when the limbs on our apple tree are heavy with fresh pickings. It is so simple and always so delicious, even with store bought apples. If your child didn’t like applesauce before they will now, especially if you let them help with making it!
Homemade Applesauce Recipe (no sugar added):
7-8 Medium sized apples of your choice (mixing types of apples can create a delicious blend, or adding in a pear)
1/4 C. Water (you can add more at the end if you like your apple sauce thinner)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
- Peel and core all of the apples, cut into similar size chunks
- Add apples to a saucepan and the water. Bring to a slow boil, turn down to simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook until apples are very soft (10 min or so), test with a fork- it should glide right through.
- Add in the cinnamon and blend with a hand blender or a stand blender, using caution as the apples are hot. (blend with the water do not discard)
- Enjoy! No added sugar needed, the apples are naturally sweet.
Estimated carbohydrate count is: 14 grams per 1/2 cup